The State of Arizona created the Board of Medical Student Loans in 1978 to provide loans to Arizona medical students in return for their service as primary care or other specialty physicians in the rural and other underserved regions of the state of Arizona. The Arizona Medical Student Loan Program was initially developed to work with the University of Arizona College of Medicine and was later expanded to include the two private osteopathic medical schools in Arizona: Midwestern University’s Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine (AZCOM) in Glendale in 1999 and A. T. Still University‘s School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (SOMA) in Mesa in 2007. State appropriations for new loans are no longer available, however the Board has a continued responsibility to participants on the program who have signed contracts to provide service to the State as primary care physicians in eligible service areas. The Board of Medical Student Loans operates solely to serve the Legislature as mandated in A.R.S. § 15-1721 through 15-1725.
The Board of Medical Student Loans meets publicly pursuant to A.R.S. § 38-431.02. Meetings typically occur twice per year during the Fall and Spring via video-conference at three locations.
The the next Board meeting is scheduled for Friday, November 3, 2017 at 1:00pm via videoconference at the following locations in Arizona:
- Glendale, AZ: Glendale Hall, Room 234, Midwestern University, Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine, 19555 N. 59th Avenue, Glendale, AZ 85308
- Mesa, AZ: Mustang Conference Room, 3rd Floor, A. T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona, 5850 E. Still Circle, Mesa, AZ 85206
- Phoenix, AZ: Health Sciences Education Building (HSEB), Room C402, University of Arizona, College of Medicine, 550 E. Van Buren Street, Phoenix, AZ 85004
- Tucson, AZ: Arizona Health Sciences Library, Room 2141, University of Arizona Health Sciences, 1501 N. Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724
The Board consists of eight members:
two members appointed by the Chairperson of the Arizona Medical Board;
- Gordi S. Khera, M.D.
- Amy Mitchell, M.D.
three members appointed by the Governor who are knowledgeable in the problems of health care in Arizona;
- Ross J. Kosinski, Ph.D., Chairperson
- Stanley P. Brysacz, D.O.
- Shirley Rheinfelder, M.D.
one member appointed from the staff of the College of Medicine of the University of Arizona appointed by the President of the University of Arizona;
- Amy L. Waer, M.D.
one member appointed by the Board of Osteopathic Examiners in Medicine and Surgery who is licensed pursuant to title 32, chapter 17
- Jeffrey W. Morgan, D.O.
and the director of the Department of Health Services or the director's designee who is the ex officio nonvoting eighth member of the board.
- Patricia Tarango
The University of Arizona College of Medicine Financial Aid Office is the administrative office to the Board of Medical Student Loans. Sherri McClellan, Program Coordinator with the University of Arizona, provides administrative assistance to the Board and its chairperson, acts as the contact for correspondence, requests and general inquiries, and organizes the Board meetings.
Past meeting agendas and minutes are published below according to A.R.S. § 38-431.01.
- November 3, 2017 Agenda Minutes
- December 2, 2016 Agenda Minutes
- May 6, 2016 Agenda Minutes
- October 30, 2015 Agenda Minutes
- May 1, 2015 Agenda Minutes
- November 14, 2014 Agenda Minutes
- April 25, 2014 Agenda Minutes
- November 15, 2013 Agenda Minutes
- April 12, 2013 Agenda Minutes
- November 9, 2012 Agenda Minutes
- May 4, 2012 Agenda Minutes
- November 4, 2011 Agenda Minutes
- April 29, 2011 Agenda Minutes
- October 8, 2010 Agenda Minutes
- May 7, 2010 Agenda Minutes
- December 4, 2009 Agenda Minutes
- July 10, 2009 Agenda Minutes
- May 29, 2009 Agenda Minutes
- November 14, 2008 Agenda Minutes
- August 15, 2008 Agenda Minutes
- December 11, 2007 Agenda Minutes
- October 5, 2007 Agenda Minutes
- April 26, 2007 Agenda Minutes
- December 8, 2006 Agenda Minutes
- August 18, 2006 Agenda Minutes
- July 21, 2006 Agenda Minutes
- March 10, 2006 Agenda Minutes
- December 6, 2005 Agenda Minutes
- November 10, 2005 Agenda Minutes
- August 5, 2005 Agenda Minutes
- December 10, 2004 Agenda Minutes
- April 30, 2004 Agenda Minutes
- November 7, 2003 Agenda Minutes
- April 4, 2003 Agenda Minutes
- September 27, 2002 Agenda Minutes
- June 28, 2002 Agenda Minutes
- April 5, 2002 Agenda Minutes
- November 2, 2001 Agenda Minutes
- August 10, 2001 Agenda Minutes
- May 18, 2001 Agenda Minutes
For additional information regarding the Board of Medical Student Loans, please contact
Sherri McClellan, Program Coordinator
Office of Student Affairs and Financial Aid
University of Arizona College of Medicine
PO Box 245076
Tucson, AZ 85724-5076
Phone: (520) 626-5140
FAX: (520) 626-8571